The Secret Circle

We don't think we're too old to be teenagers...
So, I finally found my stupid, forgettable show. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I hereby introduce you to: Secret Circle. This American supernatural teen drama based on a book series with the same name written by L.J. Smith appeared on the CW in September of 2011.  After one season of being fairly interesting, it was cancelled. Many teen-aged girls cried at the loss of Thomas Dekker on television yet again.

Apparently there's a campaign to put this series and Thomas Dekker back on air. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand, I never read the books this was based on, unlike Vampire Diaries, which me and my friend Gretchen wasted considerable energy tracking down. On the other hand, this seems to have gotten the same treatment.

The story is about Cassie Blake (played by Britt Robertson), a girl who moves to Chance Harbor after her mom dies in a tragic accident caused by some male magic-user you meet almost immediately after Cassie arrives in town.  Almost immediately you know something is up because people act weird. Weirder than the normal smalltown weird. Of course, then her car catches on fire and it's highly implied that she and this other teenage girl did it on purpose.

Then you find out that Cassie is a witch and so are six other kids in the town.  I'm not sure why they picked six. The divide is four girls and two guys and none of them are lesbians, so you don't get each person paired. Also, it's highly implied that ALL of their parents were also witches in a circle which makes no sense whatsoever because they specifically say that there are only six to a circle and in the olden days their parents were all in a circle. So... six people born to the previous circle. None of those in the current circle are siblings... so the previous circle had twelve members....

Yeah... I just hope they lied and there were two circles or something. That would've been more interesting anyhow.

Actually, that was my problem with the whole series. Every time something was about to happen I'd think, "Wouldn't it be cool if..." and then the exact opposite of what I thought would happen would happen. It got very dull after a while. And when I wasn't thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if...", I'd be thinking of what would probably happen regardless and every guess I made was accurate. If I thought something would be cool, it wouldn't happen. The lame things I came up with would happen.

After a while, I just disengaged my brain and went with the stupidity. I think I saved my brain that way.  Now, if only they could make a series with a similar premise that was as engaging intellectually as Game of Thrones or American Horror Story. That would make me happy.

Be careful what you wish for!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates