Devil's Carnival

So, I was on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.Com recently and I saw there was a review for some movie called Devil's Carnival by Paw. Well, I checked it out and found that it was a very interesting-looking movie. In fact, I discovered it was a sort of spiritual sequel to Repo! The Genetic Opera which was a movie/musical I quite enjoyed even if Paris Hilton was in it. The fact that it feels like she doesn't act so much as show up on set, attempt to sing, and lose her face really helps things though.

So, after watching the review, I realized that I'd seen this on Netflix for quite some time. In fact, Netflix kept telling me to watch it, but I ignored the suggestions because I ignore most of the things Netflix tells me to do. I don't like watching movies computers tell me I'll like... or TV shows. Or really anything really. I don't like being told what to do. Hell, that's why I still won't read Lord of the Rings... mostly.

Also I just can't. I want to, but I can't.

Leave me alone!

Anyhow, I liked it. I know it's supposed to be experienced live more than seen, but what I saw intrigued me and makes me want to see more which is good as there's supposed to be two or more parts to this little tale.

This one, obviously is about The Devil's Carnival.... which means that Hell is a carnival with the Devil and his minions running the show. Each "act" basically consists of a soul committing the same sin that got them into Hell in the first place. Each sin is basically one of Aesop's Fables. So, there's John (The Grief and his Due) who is looking for his son who was lost. John felt so sad for losing his son... he killed himself. Then there's Merrywood (The Dog and Its Reflection) who's greedy and died in a police shoot-out. And Finally, there's Tamara (The Scorpion and the Frog) who always trusts the wrong guy... and that wrong guy eventually kills her.

From there the story is pretty simple. The three people wake up at the gates of the carnival. They run around, play out their fable and then the minions of Satan sing about it in an entertaining way. Well, until the ending where Satan and The Ticket Keeper decide to change things up a bit.

The whole show is only one hour long and it's pretty interesting to watch. The music is entertaining when it isn't grating on the ears ("Kiss the Girls"/"Devil's Carnival"), but those song can be excused due to the fact that they do add to the atmosphere of the film.

I was rather impressed by the whole thing. One thing I will now expect from Terrance Zdunich and Darren Lynn Bousman is they always surprise me when they work together. Yes, they do tend to have the same... aesthetic of grim and dark and sometimes bloody, but two films and neither of them are similar in story. One is pretty much a bloody rendition of the old "Butterfly Out of Her Chrysalis" story and the other one is... "Let's go party with the Devil!"

Now there are parts where the lips aren't synced exactly to the music or singing. And sometimes it feels... messy, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and make an effort to see the second part the way it's apparently meant to be seen when they do the road tour. If it doesn't remain interesting, well, I won't be able to say I didn't try it.  On first impressions, I do like it and the music is catchy. "A Penny for a Tale" and "Prick! Goes the Scorpion's Tale" tend to get thoroughly lodged in my head even when I'm trying to think of silly songs to hum while I work around the house and do the dishes.

Sweet Dreams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Doctor Who: An Introduction