Clever Vs. Idiotic

So, when I first found out about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (not the movie, the title of the book before it came out), I remember doing everything I could to research everything about what a "Deathly Hallow" was, because it's actually a real thing. There are Hallows; four of them actually, alternatively called "The Four Treasures". If you know anything about Tarot or legends or Wicca or any New Age religion, you might be surprised by how familiar they are:

1.) The Spear of Lugh
2.) The Stone of Fal
3.) The Sword of Light of Nuada
4.) The Cauldron of Dagda

Yup, turn "Cauldron" into "Cup" and you've got the four Tarot card suits... which then connects the four hallows to the four elements... and just makes everything AWESOME.

I was super-excited. I mean, J.K. Rowling had connected a lot of mythology already and she'd introduced some ideas of her own. I mean, how many people looked at House Elves and thought "Brownies On Crack"? Or am I alone in that? Either way, Harry already had the Sword of Gryffindor (obviously The Sword of Light in my mind's eye). We saw the Cup of Hufflepuff in the sixth book, that  or pensieves could easily be the stand-in for the Cauldron of Dagda. Ravenclaw or Slytherin could easily have a wand that could stand-in for the Spear of Lugh. Then, the Stone would belong to the other person. In fact, Slytherin already had the stone... in a Ring on Dumbledore's finger. 

I had this grand vision of Harry Potter and Old Voldie duking it out in the most awesome mix of legend and story-telling ever using the powers of the Founders themselves... and then the book came out... and there were three hallows. How the hell did J.K. Rowling get an invisibility cloak out of the things listed above? Did she just want to have Harry be more of the Super Special Flower?

Either way, I was seriously miffed. I mean, Harry could wield the powers of Gryffindor and Slytherin against Old Voldie and his last two Horcruxes, the corrupted powers of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. My brain was ready for that!

And I got three Deathly Hallows... with little to no connection to the four founders... and Old Voldie was even dumber than ever!

This was the first time this happened either!

Every show I watch, every book I read, every thing that I look at... I come to a point where there's this problem. My brain reads things and thinks ahead and jumps to conclusions about what's coming and what I'm envisioning is pure unadulterated awesomeness. Then, I see what's on screen or printed on the page and I'm left a very, very sad individual. 

Heroes was the worst. I'd get all geared up for the way the story arc seemed to be going... and then the writers would smoke pot or do some crack or something and things would go off in a random direction that certainly wasn't better and definitely made no sense whatsoever. I mean... Sylar! I loved the way Zachary Quinto portrayed that character because he had a challenge. Every week the writers changed his character! Good guy? Psychopath? Wants to please his mommy? Oh, his mommy isn't his mommy after all; she adopted him! No! She's his aunt! No, he doesn't care anymore! No, he does care! WHAT THE HELL?!

I mean, I eventually had to stop watching because my head spun too much and I'm good at keeping track of characters and their story lines. It's what I do! I love long lists of characters who all have their own arcs and I have to keep track of every single one of them. X-Men was made for someone like me! So was Song of Ice and Fire, by the way.

And the more shows I invest in, the more books and fanfictions I read, the more this happens. My brain and whatever is written just don't match up and I'm left disappointed most of the time.

On the other hand, there's Doctor Who and Once Upon a Time (half the time). I get expectations, my brain jumps to conclusions... and then the show goes off in a different direction and... It's better than anything my brain came up with before! I mean, I love both shows because they consistently surprise me and keep going in a good direction that leaves me wanting to try to predict what will happen because I know the shows will do me one or more better. American Horror Story is in the same vein... And Song of Ice and Fire... Hmm...

So... Clever Writing! With good twists! That's important! And if you promise me something with roots in mythology, please, give me that thing and leave you're mutants at the door. Wow, this post was a bit rantier than I thought it would be...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates