Adaptions 3: John Dies at the End Edition

With 50% less penis jokes occurring with 150% more frequency!
So, my friend Cyn and I got together last week and we watched John Dies at the End, the movie starring Paul Giamatti, Chase Williamson and Rob Mayes. If anyone has seen the book review  I posted a while back, you'll know I really liked the book. I mean, I really, really, really loved the book.

So, the good news is that the movie keeps the tone of the book and the basic plot of the book. It's like if Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban actually managed to parse down the plot in a way that made the movie make sense instead of having several adults trying to explain those holes with eyebrow movements.  There is a whole chunk of the book's plot missing and one whole character is taken out to give a different character more screen time. However, the creators do it in a way that doesn't take away from the story too much. It's still a cohesive story, but things have definitely been cut.

Cyn and I were very disappointed by the absence of a major plot thread because it made the book blow my mind. However, the movie still did a very good job at being a good movie.

Like I said, the tone of the movie is spot on. There's no way they could've made it better unless they had turned the book into a TV miniseries but only HBO or Showtime would've picked it up because the whole story is very much Not Safe for Work, if you know what I mean. Then again, most of you probably know what I mean because I mention the penis jokes above.

...Yeah.

Well, I hope more people see the movie because the book now has a sequel, This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously, Dude, DON'T TOUCH IT!) and the deleted material from the movie could create a fairly good second movie. Then again, they also have to turn This Book is Full of Spiders into a movie too eventually. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. The ending was spot-on too. Yes, they cut out one mind screw bit, but they left the more important one completely in tact for our viewing pleasure.

So go watch it and remember:

DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING!!!

By the way, I am now forty-five pages into This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously, Dude, DON'T TOUCH IT! and I am now extremely paranoid. Thank you, David Wong!

Oh and Cyn, Happy Birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Doctor Who: An Introduction