Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Which lives in Epicdom. Epicly!
So, before I ever started this Magical Realism kick, I heard about this movie from my then-boyfriend. Anyhow, I heard of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World from him around the time Kick-Ass came out. Why? They were movies based on comic books/graphic novels that heavily used nerdy tropes. Kick-Ass deconstructed and then reconstructed the whole idea of superheroes while Scott Pilgrim combined dating and baggage with video games.

I never got around to reading the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series. I always want to read it, but I end up distracting myself.  And then complicated relationship stuff happened where my reason for wanting to read the graphic novels kind of went away.  I did end up seeing the movie at one point, but I still haven't picked up any of the material that actually tells the story "properly". Not that it matters.

So, this is the second in my Magical Realism series that I am familiar with before putting them in this context.  There will be others, but this is the second one on my list which has a messed up order due to serendipity and the internet.

In a purely film-going sense, Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World is an entertaining film... even for someone who mostly doesn't like or understand video games. I was familiar enough with the video game tropes to "get" most of the references. I especially likes the fact that the villains burst into coins... and the whole earning a life thing made me kind of happy too. And I've played Kingdom Hearts enough that when that thing happens in the end, I'm totally with Scott and his urge to rush through all the useless crap.

In fact, I squeed a little when I watched that part this time.

I know it's not exactly like the graphic novel, but I haven't read the graphic novel and as a person ignorant of the source material, I followed the movie pretty well.

On another note, (literally) the music wasn't that bad either.

Puns!

Now... Magical Realism... this is the fourth review of works in this genre and... Can this really be any more different?

Then again, you could probably think of this more as Video Game Realism because this story is definitely in our world, but people have no problem with random fights where the losers burst into coins and girls can skate through your brain... literally. Also, this movie isn't about that stuff really. It's there, but it's not the BIG theme of the movie.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World isn't a Fantasy Action movie. It's Romantic Comedy where the love interests have to literally beat their baggage to a pulp... well, each other's baggage... well, the male romantic lead has to beat his would-be girlfriend's baggage until they burst into coins.  All seven of them.

Oh yeah, and most of the characters seem like they're completely deranged. I know it's the Rule of Funny, but some of the characters are just really awful people (including the main character) and half the time I don't want to see them reach happy endings.  In fact, the only reason I want to see the "good guys" win is because the supposed villains are even worse.

I still cheered for the lesbian.

Always Smile!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Doctor Who: An Introduction