The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

We're coming through you're computer screen and you can't stop us!
So, when I first looked up Magical Realism film-wise, one of the first movies listed in a couple of "Top ___ Magical Realism Movies" lists that I looked at. It's a 2004 film written and directed by Wes Anderson and starring Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Angelica Houston, and Cate Blanchett.  I just watched it for the first time and I think I may have to look at the definition of Magical Realism again because I'm not exactly sure how this film... fits.

I'll just say it now, it's a weird movie, but most We Anderson films are a little strange to most people.

The story is pretty simple: After a shark attacks and kills his partner, oceanographer Steve Zissou decides to get revenge. So, he rallies his crew, his estranged wife, a journalist, and a man that may be his son to hunt down said shark.

The most magical thing in the film, besides all the people inexplicably interested in oceanography is the shark in question, a jaguar shark... which looks like a shark someone painted spots on. It's pretty cool looking, but it definitely seems fake to my eye.

Also, I have never met anyone that genuinely acts like some of the crazy people who appear in this film, but that's a Wes Anderson movie. His brain must be a fascinating place to live. I'd love to go on vacation there.  I'd offer him a chance to stay in my brain, but I don't think he'd be able to handle the utter lack of stoicism.  I'd come back to find my brain hooked on some drug because he needed something to help him handle all my emotion and wildness.

The film is entertaining and maybe after watching a few more films that have been declared "Magical Realism", I'll be able to get a better handle on just what makes a film earn the label and then I'll return to this review to comment more on my opinion of how this movie fares as a Magical Realism Movie.

As a movie in and of itself, I consider it highly satisfying and I think you should watch it should you have the chance.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates