Benjamin Kramer IV

After I thought up Benny, I'm not sure when, I sort of had this idea for a pair of brothers. At the time I was trying to flesh out my Council of Magic (now called the Council of Thaumaturgy). So, my first idea was that there were two brothers at odds, one worked for the Council and the other was a creature that ought to be hunted down and killed by the Council.

Benjamin Kramer IV (My brain couldn't decide if he was the fourth or fifth for a long time. I chose fourth because it just seemed nicer.) is the brother who is actually a high-ranking Council official (in charge of the North American Chapter) who happens to be the brother of Jack Achan, a creature that is considered and "aberration"... and a type of vampire.

I had this idea going in my head that Jack became a vampire to somehow save Benjamin's life. Benjamin couldn't handle it, so he enlisted in the help of the Council to kill Jack. However, Jack knew this, and he couldn't allow his brother to kill him, because if Jack dies, they both die. So, Jack faked his death and Benjamin made a great reputation for himself within the Council, rising quickly in their ranks until he was in charge.

Note: I initially had Benjamin in charge of the whole Council of Thaumaturgy until I decided that it would be a world-wide organization with it's headquarters in Antarctica. Then, he became the head of the North American branch because I like to keep my characters local while implying that there's magic all over the world hidden from others.

Benjamin helped me shape the Council of Thaumaturgy which has two main functions. First, it protects those who practice magic from those who don't by keeping up the masquerade and covering up any incidences where magic is revealed to those who aren't magical. Second, it protects those who aren't magical from those who abuse magic or seek power by hunting down these "aberrations" and destroying or detaining them. A third function is that they also collect and organize all magical information while educating any magic-users (thaumaturges) they find, but that is part of the two major functions in a way.

He is about fifty years of age. He has red hair with gray and white streaks. His eyes are blue. He stands at about 5'11 and he's muscular and solidly built without being overweight. He also has a beard and tends to dress in either a fine suit or very casually.

Sometimes I think he suspects his brother is alive and why that must be so, but I don't really think he's that self aware.

Benjamin is a chess master type who believes all he does is right and all that is wrong is the antithesis of what he does. He has no room for gray or any kind of thinking that invites self-doubt.

His brother eventually got renamed Jack Cain.

If an actor were to play Benjamin Kramer IV, it would probably be this guy:

Tony Curran

Next: Jack Cain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Doctor Who: An Introduction