Battlestar Galactica

One of us is only in your head.
So, I was hanging out with my friend Cynthia and her new boyfriend last night when we all decided to hunker down and watch the TV miniseries Battlestar Galactica.  Now, I had seen it before... years ago. I came in on the tale-end of that show. I started watching mid-season three and I couldn't stop even though I'd never seen most of the other episodes.  I learned the highlights from looking the series up on Wikipedia.com every time I came up with something I didn't exactly understand.  I also looked at the TVtropes page and anything else I could get my hands on to explain what I was missing, catching up on the old episodes when they were on TV.

Unfortunately, the show had one fatal flaw: it suffered from the same problems as Lost and Heroes.  For every question you were meant to ask... there just weren't that many answers.  Even the series finale has you asking yourself what in the nine hells you just watched and why should you care.  Of course, if you're a character-focused person like me, you watched the season finale to find out what happened to everyone and cursed their stupidity in the end while crying over the ones that died.

It was a really well-put together show and Ron Moore at least made an effort to look like he had everything planned out from the beginning.  The flaws in the show reveal otherwise, but the illusion was nice to have as you were watching it.  The season finale, unfortunately, shattered said illusion so you were left scratching your head and wondering how many drugs Mr. Moore was on over the years.

Do I like the show? Yes. It's fun. The characters are engaging and multi-faceted even if the plot meanders and leaves you scratching your head at points.  Do I want to kill certain characters? Yes.  Starbuck and Baltar being the top two on my list.  However, the show is enjoyable for it's flaws and people should watch it if given a chance.  I am going to rewatch the whole series now because I do like it. I did like it. And I'm sure I'll understand it even better this time around!

By your command!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates