The Tudors

Why isn't his hair red? Did they run out of dye? Did they use it all on Tamzin Merchant?
What happened?

I have a confession to make. I got Netflix. And I've been catching up on all the shows on it that I never really got to watch due to time, not having the channel they were on, or general disinterest.

The Tudors, a historical drama written by Michael Hirst and aired on Showtime between 2007 and 2010, is one of them.  Now, I will warn you, I'm a bit of a British history buff.  My knowledge is generally related to the royal families, more specifically to the Plantagenet dynasty that ruled between 1154 and 1485.  However, that did not make me enjoy the show any less.  I understand with historically based things that they can't always stick to history as it happened because what happened isn't usually as dramatic as people would like.

Is every day of your life a whirlwind of adventure?  Does Barack Obama do something exciting every day? George Bush?  Clinton?

... Actually, I think his may have been every other day.  However, a lot of what rulers do is well, rule and... paperwork.  It's not all sex and beheadings.

Henry VIII is a good king to pick because even though it wasn't all sex and beheadings, there was a lot of sex and death during his rule.

Well, everyone knows the story of King Henry VIII of England.  He had six wives: Catherine of Aragorn (divorced), Anne Boleyn (beheaded), Jane Seymor (died), Anne of Cleaves (divorced), Katherine Howard (beheaded) and Katherine Parr (survived).  He obviously wasn't the best guy to marry.

This four-season, thirty-eight episode drama depicts his life starting in the first season of the failure of his marriage to Catherine of Aragorn to produce and heir and ending with his death.  It also has a good number of the political games that led to each marriage and the fate of each wife and a lot of sex.  I mean, this show made me feel great about myself because of all the breasts that were smaller or about the same size as mine. You could just call this show the Historical Boob Television Show. I think HBTS is a lot more interesting than The Tudors and more accurate too!

Seriously, if you feel self-conscious about your breast size, watch this show. You'll never feel bad again. If your a guy, watch this show for other obvious reasons.

If you like history... umm... I wouldn't tell you not to watch this show, just know that a lot of things are played for drama and the time line gets compressed a bit.  The good thing is that this show does keep you engaged.  The bad thing is, half of the early episodes are sex, Sex, SEX! However, later seasons that depict Henry's later years do turn away from that because no one wants to watch an older guy with an oozing leg wound mount a beautiful maiden no matter how voluptuous the maiden is.  Am I right?

So... yeah... It's dramatic, it's interesting. It's also... filled with sex and there are only so many ways to see Tab A go into Slot B without seeing too much.

Would I watch it again? Probably not.  Am I glad I watched it? My ego says yes.

Sweet Dreams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Doctor Who: An Introduction