The Trouble With Romantic Comedies

When I was younger, I had a problem that largely isolated me from my friends.  I hated romantic comedies.  This was particularly troublesome as I grew up during the late 90s/early 2000s when teen romantic comedies or "teen movies" were in their hey-dey. Jawebreaker, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You, Whatever It Takes, Loser, Roadtrip, Get Over It, the American Pie series, A Walk To Remember, Crossroads, She's All That, Josie and the Pussycats, Halloweentown, Save the Last Dance, Center Stage, Honey, Romeo + Juliet, Titanic, Drive Me Crazy, Crazy/Beautiful, What a Girl Wants, The Notebook... etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

At first, it was okay.  You know, an occasional romantic comedy film to spice up our usually horror movie fair.  I loved horror films.  I especially liked ones based around ghosts, the supernatural, or vampires.  I could not understand how someone could want to watch those things and then bits of... satin, heart-shaped fluff.  However, I stuck with it and a even enjoyed a few.  Unfortunately, soon I began to recognize a pattern in all those movies.  It pissed me off.  Severely.

Most romantic comedies had two lead characters that fell into this pattern and it made me want to punch someone!  It just happened so often and it was so obvious!

What was the problem?

It really is quite simple.  You see, in every movie there was this one future couple where one member was completely in love with the other... and the other was completely obvious and probably lusting after someone who was a complete bitch/jerk.  Most of the time, the one in love was a guy and the oblivious on was a girl, but that wasn't always universal.  In fact, my favorite movies are where that fact is switched around and the guy is obvious.

What's really worrying is that the public hasn't gotten over this trope because everytime I watch a modern romantic comedy, the same sort of situation is playing out on the screen.  Only now, sometimes they are both in love with the other one and they are both completely obvious!  That's a pretty funny situation, but I've seen it in other, older films and even a Jane Austen novel or two.

It's silly and it makes it seem like those are the only possible romantic comedy situation available.  Someone has to be a complete and total dumbass about people in order for it to work, but I guess that's why their movies and not real life.  It just frustrates me because I want to see more!

Don't you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates