Hindu Mythology

When I was a little girl, I watched this movie called A Little Princess.  You probably read that in my post about blue people.  Besides sparking my interest in the idea that a person's skin color could be blue, it also sparked my interest in India.  To my young mind, India became this magical place with old statues, monkeys that ate out of your hand, demons, blue people, gods that walked on earth, and the ability of animals to give their life force to humans.  My brain was captivated for a time.

Then, I got distracted by school, life, France, and just everything else.  Mostly because we did a project on India and I found out that most of the things I thought existed in India were... very wrong. And the food tasted funny.  I was a very self-centered child.

Then, as a teenager, I picked up books by Christopher Pike.  He was a young adult horror author of the 80s and early 90s. I mostly got his books from the library, thrift stores, and used book stores.  While a friend and I combed everywhere possible for books by L.J. Smith, I had a disctraction from those books in the form of Christopher Pike who's books were available in those places in massive quantities for some odd reason.  Most of his books were murder mysteries with a supernatural twist. However, some were a bit more... spiritual.  He had a series called The Last Vampire that centered around vampires what were created from a ritual gone wrong with a demon in India. the main character was a gorgeous blonde woman born in Ancient India. Don't ask me how that worked.  most of his characters were gorgeous blonde women.  Either way, he had a lot of Hindu mythology and philosophy mixed into his books and it sparked my interest again, but only a little.

My interest in India really didn't come to a head until I took a class my first year of college: Easter Religions.  The first thing we covered was Hinduism as a whole.  I was so interested in it, I couldn't stop reading. Every once in a while, I get interested again and read more of the stories.

My favorite stories are the stories of Shiva, the god of destruction and his wife, Parvati.  I've always had an interest in death and destruction in a weird sort of way and the idea that there's a god in India in charge of destruction as well as being the one known as a "family man" and "Lord of the Dance" kind of makes me feel gleeful. The romance between Shiva and Parvati is also kind of a nice story showing that love doesn't die.  Or at least, that's what my ignorant American sensibilities read into the whole thing.  And Ganesh, their son, gives me a hope for a brighter future.  His father beheaded him and yet he went to become the god of overcoming obstacles.  For a girl who's father abandonned her, that's a pretty hopeful message.

Sadly, I haven't read very much Western literature that plays with Hinduism a whole lot.  Christopher Pike stands alone in my collection which makes me rather sad. I would like to read more.

Sweet Dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates