Family

The Most Bad-Ass People I Know
(Less a Few Who Couldn't Make It)
Previously I did a post on "Write What You Know". Well, there's one thing I know pretty well, in my humble opinion and that's my family. They are crazy and they sometimes do things that downright piss me off, but I know that when my back is against the wall and I'm at my wits' end, they'll be the ones backing me up and telling me how stupid I am for letting the small stuff bog me down.

Well, unless it comes to my writing. Then they just say, "That's nice that you like to write Hanorah, but you never finish anything. If you do, I'm sure it'll be wonderful, but until then..."

Regardless of their habit of telling me the cold, hard truth about myself, I still love them to death and I know I wouldn't be the awesome person I am today without all thirty-five and counting of them.

So, I want to express this in the books I write. I really do. I want to write about the people who made me who I am... without actually writing about them. The idea came about when my brain went "My Family With Magic! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" and then added, "It could be like a story JUST about the Weasly family... in the world in my head instead of stupid Harry Potter World!"

My family is scary enough if I don't add magic into the mix (especially not my version of magic). You see all those people up there? Most of them know how to handle a gun. Even the elderly-looking ones.

Unfortunately, I keep going about it in the wrong ways. Eventually I'll figure it out, but I have to go through one hundred ways how not to write a story about my bad ass family so other people will feel part of the family too and feel that comfort and love even if they've never seen how a family really does operate because the adults in their life are selfish pricks stuck in their own world when I finally find the right way to write about my family in a fictional semi-fantasy setting.

I know I'm probably over-thinking it in some way, but just because I want the feel of my family rendered into book form doesn't mean I want it easily traced from one family member to the corresponding fictional member. I already tried that and I couldn't really write it properly because... what if I insulted one of them unintentionally?

So I tried building the family from scratch, even setting the grandparents' union in the late 40s rather than... when my grandparents actually got married and flipped a coin for the children. I figure if I can build the right family and feel how they interact, the story will come. If this doesn't work, I'll go at it from the other end again. Story then family (tried it before).

Of course it's frustrating, but I wrote a draft of a non-working story back before Christmas 2011 and it's worth it if I can give a proper send-up to the people I love.

Don't you think?

Doctor Who will come back on Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates