Eight

This is Luke Goss from Hallmark's Frankenstein
My original look for Azrael with some...
Notable Exceptions
So, the first story I ever came close to finishing, I began writing ten years ago... roughly. I was a Junior at Greene County Career Center and I'd been writing for about five years and nothing ever worked. Then, that summer, I found out one of my closest friends had been talking about me behind my back. It was a bit of a brutal awakening to the fact that people were two-faced double-crossing assholes that I keep getting bitch-slapped with even to this day.

You could say I just refuse to learn that lesson because I have too much faith in humanity.

Anyhow, for some reason this led me to write a story that I called "Eight". It wasn't the eighth story I ever tried to write. In fact, the only thing eight-related was the first thing I threw out. The main character and her best friend were supposed to be born on 8/8/88 or the day after or something. The only thing that stayed was that the people who raised the girls called them one name and the girls called each other something else.... Well, let me just explain to you how this story went.

There's two girls Branwyn (who the witches call Nimue) and Rhiannon (who the witches call Tavia, short for Octavia... I think). Branwyn is the main character. She's albino, and unlike everyone else in the weird village she lives in, she isn't a witch. In fact, she has no magic of her own whatsoever. Because of this, she is treated like shit. Meanwhile her best friend, Rhiannon is supposed to someday take over the magical world and she isn't a witch either. She's a drago, what happens when a dragon gives blood to a human... they usually have some kind of elemental magic, if memory serves me right.

Anyhow, there's these vampires plotting to invade the place where they live (Havyn) and enact something called a "Bloodbath" where they kill everyone in the town.

Why?

Because their queen is the currently ruler of the magical world and she has sense a threat in Havyn and wishes it to be destroyed.

One enterprising vampire gets the brilliant idea to shoot Rhiannon, the drago, with a bullet coated or filled or something with vampire blood, which will poison her and kill her because vampires and dragos don't get along so much that their blood is poison to each other.

However, Branwyn, experiencing some latent powers as a sensitive (a human with psychic abilities who get that at the price of a terrible immune system and weak body), takes the bullet for Rhiannon and nearly dies. This is when it's revealed to the reader that Branwyn had magic all along, but her psychic powers have been blocked by the witches because there's a prophecy she will destroy Havyn and that will lead to Rhiannon's death.

The story then went that a bunch of crazy stuff happens, Azrael arrives on the scene and Branwyn reminds him of someone he once knew so he decides to save her and then more crazy stuff happens and Havyn is destroyed.

I haven't exactly read what I wrote all those years ago. In fact, I avoid looking at the thing like the words will give me ebola. However, I need to practice editing. If I can make this pile of teen-angst mixed with crazy into a novel worth reading then I can do anything. So, I'm going to edit this lemon into a workable novel.

As a side note, my Junior English teacher will probably be tap dancing if I manage to finish the thing and give her a copy.

So what do I need to do?

Well, the overall idea of the plot is good. A girl who's raised to think she's nobody and nothing when actually she has the potential to become a Woobie Destroyer of Worlds is a pretty nice angle. And I can't take Azrael out of the picture. However, if I streamline things, make Havyn a more believable place and get rid of that Y, and give most of the characters sold, cohesive motives and backgrounds, then I think I could make this a story worth reading.

Basically, it needs a rewrite.

A HUGE REWRITE.

But what better side project while I begin actually writing The December Project since I've given up on the final stage of the outlining process from the book I mentioned before?

Besides, I'm still going to do the first steps for Eight because they did help me with my ideas for the December Project. I'll keep you posted on more later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates