Being a Girl Who is a Nerd.

That's me! Blonde! With an awesome Christmas present!
So, I'm a girl and I'm a nerd.  I never really thought much about it, you know?  I like Batman and collect everything to do with Batman.  I was a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Angel, Eureka!, Dollhouse, Heroes, and any other nerdy TV series that became available to to general public.  I am currently a fan of Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Doctor Who and anything nerdy that becomes available on TV this year.  I own special editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I've listened to the BBC radio adaption of it.  I've read books by Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaimen, Terry Pratchett, H.G. Wells, Ursula K. LeGuin, Madeleine L'engle, Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer Bradley... and way too many other authors to list or remember.  I love science and I'm proficient with mathematics.  I just spent a year taking physics classes because it was fun.  Calculus-based physics classes for those who would wish to differentiate.

However, I never sat down in one of my many Batman shirts and thought, "Huh... I'm a female nerd!"

I just am what I am... or who I am.  Whatever.

Then, I was watching BBC America because they had a show called The Science of Doctor Who on and next was supposed to be The Nerdist.  Towards the end of The Nerdist, there was a preview for the next episode which would be centered around female nerds in a "Yes! They do exist!" sort of light.

It didn't set well with me mostly because I know I exist.  I live and breath right now as I type it.

It just... bothered me because most of the friends I've made have been female nerds.  My two current closest friends are female nerds.  So... why do people still seem so shocked by our existence when it's becoming more and more acceptable for females to be nerds?

I mean, nerds are pretty popular these days.  All those comic books super heroes are getting their own movies.  Most books are being turned into movies (Why, hello, Ender's Game! Fancy seeing you coming to cinema!).  Video games (the one part of nerd culture I don't so much participate in, but what others participate in with interest) are now accessible to most people.  Everyone owns a computer or has a personal computer in their pocket called a "Smartphone".  I... just don't understand.

Why do people act so surprised by the fact that there are girls out there who are nerdy?

Why does it matter?  Everyone's a nerd these days!

I mean, not as many people are into mathematics and sciences as they should be, but they all like at least one nerdy thing.

So, I thought I'd post my confusion here because I'm not sure where else to place it and file it for further thinking later.

Just... Why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Soul Mates

Once Upon a Time