That Guy With the Glasses

Well... Not really, but he will mock them until you feel bad about them...
With Onions!
The year 2007 was a tough time for me.  I was living in my house alone, fresh out of high school.  All I did all day was get up, go to school, go to bed, go to work, rinse repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse repeat... And then one day I got this bright idea to join the Air Force! Then I could use the GI bill to pay for college and I wouldn't have to work so much!  Heck, it could even give me training and I could be a writer!

... Anyone who really knows me knows what a dumb ass move that was. I'm not going to go into the details ON THE INTERNET, but let's just say I got myself kicked out.

So I came home, and I didn't know what I was going to do.  I had no job.  I had no money.  I'd failed some classes my last quarter so I lost one of my scholarships and I was in danger of losing the other one.  My mother decided I needed a "sense of accomplishment" so she took me to my grandma's house in Powell County, KY and we painted it. During that time, I read the last Harry Potter book, I saw the fifth Harry Potter movie with my cousin, Tony, and I generally felt even more sorry for myself while trying to create a plan in my head for getting back on track.

Somewhere in that mess that was my life, definitely at some point in 2007 at least, I'm pretty sure I came across 5 Second Movies by this guy called Doug Walker who went by the alias of That Guy With the Glasses on YouTube.  In a life that was generally plagued with dysthymia (think long-lasting, mild depression), the 5 Second Movies and other things posted by Doug Walker on YouTube made me laugh.  It was cool because a lot of the stuff he reviewed and talked about, the nostalgic movies, the five-second versions of movies, they were all things that I was really interested in and enjoyed watching.

For a person who was generally a loner like me, it was the closest thing I had to having friends for a long while.

And then, YouTube kept taking down the videos.  I'd go to rewatch one of my favorite 5 Second Movies (like... The Princess Bride) and it wouldn't be there!  I'd go to watch a review and it had been taken down! Elderly ladies would not like how often I cursed at the computer over something so stupid, but it was one of a handful of things that acted like a life-line for me and they kept taking it away.  I was pissed.

Excuse me, sorry my elderly friends, I was very upset and put off by the idiotic behavior of YouTube.

Then, Santa-Christ took pity on the world and said, "HO! HO! HO! LET THERE BE A WEBSITE WHERE PEOPLE CAN FREELY POST VIDEO REVIEWS OF MOVIES, VIDEOGAMES, ANIME, COMIC BOOKS AND ALL THE NERDY THINGS THEY LIKE!!!! HO! HO! HO!"

And www.thatguywiththeglasses.com was born!

And then... I had something to turn to regularly.  Grandpa's dying?  And there's nothing I can do about it? Isn't that website I like posting a First Year Anniversary Brawl soon?  My first "serious" boyfriend cheated on me! What's The Nostalgia Chick doing? I'm about to graduate from mortuary school and I have no idea what I'm going to do next! Hey, Linkara just started a History of the Power Rangers series! Awesome! I'm spending Christmas alone this year! No family! No friends!  I'm just stuck in... Wait... A Nostalgia Critic Christmas?

I'm not saying that this is the reason I'm alive or anything, but it takes the edge off and I enjoy it.  And if I had any interest in videos or anything, I'd start doing reviews in that style rather than writing them out in my goofy way. You could say, that even though I'm not alive because of this website and webseries, this blog exists because the site and series and everyone involved inspired me to start posting my opinions on things on the internet for other people to read.

So, if you don't like this blog, you know who to start trolling. (Hint: Not me!)

If you want some laughs, you should definitely check it out, especially all of the anniversary videos.  They're really funny and starting with Kickassia, each one has it's own special story.  Hell, I might even devote a couple blogs to reviewing them alone! They're funny, made on a low budget, and well-done.  In fact, they've only called on a special effects team for the latest one, To Boldly Flee... which looks BRILLIANT.  I can't wait until it posts.  When it is finally completely posted, I will have it here for all of you darling dears to read about if you don't want to go watch it yourself.  Even though you SHOULD because it's bound to be bloody brilliant.  I haven't been disappointed yet.

Though, if they kill Santa Christ again, I might scream loud enough for people in China to hear me...

Anyhow, check the site out, it's funny, and there's something there for everyone, you just have to look.

And sweet dreams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Soul Mates

Once Upon a Time