Kenneth Branaugh's Love's Labours Lost

 Kenneth Branaugh is one of the better-known directors and producers of movie adaptions of Shakespeare's work.  His version of Much Ado About Nothing is both charming and hilarious... if the "Hey Nonny! Nonny!"s aren't a bit strange and off-putting and if you can stomach Keanu Reeves trying to act at all.  I've heard a lot of good things about his Henry V and Hamlet even if his Hamlet is a bit old, at least it isn't Mel Gibson.  So... How do I feel about this particular attempt at Shakespeare from the man?


Umm....




Well... That's... Better?  Maybe a bit hammy...


Oh Shit!

Yup, that's right, kids!  Old Kenny turned SHAKESPEARE into a fucking jukebox musical!

There's even a part where the male characters fly around while singing "Cheek to Cheek".  It's just that kind of movie.  You kind of have to accept it or never watch it.  My favored reaction to the embarrassing part is to leave the room and wash my face Romeo + Juliette style.  You know, just dip my whole head in a sink or tube filled with water and hope it all goes away.  This is especially true for the part when Timothy Spall of all people just bursts into song.

And don't even get me started on Miss Marple's bit.

So, why am I talking about it?

Because every time I see it on the TV, I can't stop myself from watching it.  I think it's because I'm part masochist and mostly obsessed with the time period in which this film is supposed to take place.

Namely, I like the late 20s to early 40s.  Especially the fashions and the music.  I want all of the female cast's clothing and hats that appear in this picture.  Seriously.  Oh... and I am guilty of humming along to "Cheek To Cheek" while my brain flashed to the much better rendition as performed by Fred Astaire.
 Yeah... Like that...

And that would happen whatever film I end up watching that has that song in it.

I have nothing to say about the... mask thing.  That part actually freaks me out and gives me the unprecedented urge to go out and but fishnet stockings and a mask...  Maybe I should stop watching this film when it's on TV.  It is rather strange even once you do adapt to the juke-box musical bits, Timothy Spall in a wretched accent, the fact that this film takes place right before World War II in Spain when everyone's supposedly at peace... except Spain which was having a civil war at the time.  Oh?  The film doesn't mention that?  Must be a different Pre-WWII universe then.  Oh well, no matter.

Does this movie have any saving graces other than being too silly to take seriously?

Nathan Lane, but even he hops into the juke-box musical fun!

At least he has a voice for it!

Sweet Dreams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Soul Mates

Once Upon a Time