Doctor Who: The Moonbase

I couldn't find a good DVD cover...
So I used this instead. Enjoy!
So... four serials ago, we had the Cybermen introduced as villains. And now... we have the Cybermen redesigned and appearing as villains again! Part of me wonders how they're bringing them back and if this is going to be a plot thread throughout the season because that would be pretty cool if seasons started to have arcs. However, I'm not keeping my hopes up because... well, this is following The Underwater Menace. That episode has really lowered my Doctor Who expectations a lot. Especially after that really stupid Dalek episode. I mean, I have only liked on Doctor Who episode so far... and it was historical.

However, this could also come from the fact that, in the modern series, I really don't like the Cybermen as villains. They just fall flat for me... until Series Seven when they actually got a bit scary with their ability to convert you via nanotechnology. So... maybe this will get better especially as we enter the beginnings of the Cybermen, but I haven't yet felt the need to hide behind my sofa.

That is disappointing.

Anyhow! The Moonbase is the sixth serial of the fourth season of Doctor Who and it's four episodes long with the first and third episodes missing. These four episodes were originally aired from February 11 to March 4, 1967. Sadly for me, good for everyone else, it will have animated versions of episodes one and three released some time in 2014. So, I'm looking forward to that. For now, I have to watch whatever reconstruction I can find and just slog through.

Two Hours Later...

Well... That was interesting. Apparently this episode was before some idiot decided that the Cyberman's weakness was gold because this episode actually went and interesting and clever way of taking care of Cybermen, but we'll get to that shortly.

This episode begins with the Doctor and Company arriving on the Moon when they were aiming for... Mars. At least it was the same solar system? They find a base on the moon where a "gravitron" is used to keep Earth's weather completely under control.

Did I mention that it's 2070? Yeah. I can't wait until our weather is no longer unpredictable due to a Moonbase that can control the weather!!!

What do you mean that won't happen? I want a planned snow day. And no more hurricanes.

Well, stuff is going wrong. People are coming down with an impossible illness. The gravitron's directional fields are off because someone messed with the antenna which is now missing pieces. Since the only new thing on the Moon, as far as the scientists running the base can see, is the Doctor and his gang, then they must be responsible for everything. However, the second episode reveals that it's really....

THE CYBERMEN!!!

DUN! DUN! DUN!

Yeah... we already knew that, but it's really played for shock here so it must've been a shock then.

The Cybermen want to take control of the Moon Base and gravitron and use the gravitron to wipe out all life on Earth, thus destroying a major threat. To this end, they have poisoned the base's sugar with a neurological inhibitor disease thing... which means it IS A KNOWN DISEASE and they had the Doctor talking out of his ass. That, or he'd never seen that kind of disease since he got his degree in medicine from Dr. Joseph Lister in 1888.

Yeah.

He says that.

Well, stuff happens. Polly figures out that spraying acetone on the plastic parts of the Cybermen and those under their control may dissolve or damage the plastic enough to stop them and they temporarily end the Cyberman threat to Earth... until reinforcements arrive and threaten the whole base. In the end the Doctor aims the gravitron at the moon where the Cybermen are and destroys them all.

It's kind of a basic plot, but it doesn't use the usual recycled garbage so I actually enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't watch it again. Although there is this one part where Mr. McCrimmon spins around really fast in his kilt and you can see pretty far up his northern parts if you know what I mean.

Next: The Macra Terror

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates