Frozen

Well... this doesn't look like the Girl Quest Fantasy I've been looking for!
Well... I saw this movie...

And I listend to the music...

And I cried at the appropriate parts...

And I kind of predicted that either Hans would end up being a douche-ass or a pushover and he turned out to be a douche-ass...

This wasn't what I wanted.

It was kind of what I needed, but not really...

I'm not really sure what it was besides "good" since a lot of people liked it and it turned into this huge thing where people were making "Let It Go" youtube videos and mash-ups and parodies and everything else under the sun.

I even wrote my own verses to "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" and sent it to my cousin. They were called, "Do You Want to Write a Story?".

She didn't.

So... What to say?

Well, this WASN'T girl-quest fantasy.  Instead this was a story about sisters.

It was a good story about sisters and family and true-love-not-being-romantic (Didn't I do a rant about that in the past?), but it wasn't a girl-quest fantasy.

It wasn't even close to girl quest fantasy.

This was a shame because if someone did it and they did it well, we could have a really empowering story that would be bloody awesome.

I liked the story I got because, while it was cliched, it played those cliches in a nice way with a nice little message about "True Love" thrown in for good measure.

And I really liked the trolls. I think there should've been more trolls. Like, get rid of the stupid snowman and bring in a troll side-kick instead.

Also, why does Disney hate childhood friends that become romantic love interests? It doesn't happen AT ALL in any of the cannon that I can find and that's just horrible!

I mean, the whole crux of the Snow Queen story is that Anna and Kay (not Kristoff) are childhood friends that are really close. They're bestest best friends. That's why Anna goes after Kay when he's kidnapped by the Snow Queen. Because she knows him so well and she loves him. And she can't imagine life without him because she's never had to live without him. Then she goes on this big quest to get him back, and she saves him and it's nice and its one of the few Hans Christian Anderson stories with a happy ending.

And Disney was like, "Naah... we're going to write a story about sister and have a romantic love interest fake-out."

It was a nice story and I liked it and I've already watched the movie a few times, but I still feel a bit cheated.

I don't feel I have the right to feel cheated becuase everyone likes Frozen. Everyone thinks it's a great, touching story, and it is.

It is a touching story.

But I went into the story wanting apple pie and the story gave me strawberry rhubarb pie instead. I love strawberry rhubabrb pie. I really do! But I wanted apple pie and I still want applie pie!

 Why won't they give me some bloody apple pie?!

It's like some folks at Disney read my rant, travelled to the past and cackled, "Ha! Ha! We'll make it look like we're doing what she wants, but not really just for shits and giggles!"

Is this going to be the new trend? Take a story that's perfectly good and touching on its own and turn it into something totally different (still good) and make people feel content with it?

Because if it does, I should probably quit now.

But I can't because I love Disney and the stories they do tell!

I guess I'm screwed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker

Once Upon a Time

Soul Mates